Rest, or as the great Psalmist called it, Selāh. We are currently on summer vacation here in Australia. It’s the time of year where school is out, late nights are had, picnicking, swims and holidaying. For us this year we are having a ‘staycation’. And I gotta say, it’s been one of our best holidays yet. It feels SOOOO GOOD to be back home! Sydney has some pretty amazing beaches. And so many that I’ve never even set foot on. I actually didn’t realise how many beaches we actually had. Well over 100 actually!
Queens Beach, Sydney. We found this beach after a long day at the Zoo celebrating Scarlet’s Birthday.
Anyway, so all this ‘staycationing’ has got me thinking about rest. How do you rest friend? Do you take time in your week to rest? Or is it something that rarely happens? And if so I want to hear from you. I want to know how you rest?
Where I find rest will be completely different to you, we find joy in different objects, people and scenery. For myself rest has been found at sea. The salt in my hair and in my face, the sand between my toes, swimming with my babies and picnicking. All at a SLOWER PACE! We sleep in, we enjoy the moments together.
I’ve been asking the kids most days what they want to do? And the answers don’t surprise me. It’s all about being together and having fun.
Whatever it is these are my 5 steps of creating a little more rest in your life.
- Turn off social media for as long as you need. An hour or two, even a day or more can be so refreshing. That calls for all phones calls, emails and television. Connect with your family and not with what’s going on it the world.
- Start your day in meditation. Give your day, events and even what you know you have planned for the week ahead or month over to God and LET IT GO. HAND IT OVER AND BREATH!
- Don’t commit to work when it’s your day or time to chill out. You can always do it the next day. This time is rare and precious but so important to revitalise.
- Do what gives you rest/joy. If it’s coffee then go out for it. If it’s yoga, go do yoga, the beach, hiking, camping, dining. Whatever you love to do and have time focusing on what you love to do, DO IT!
- Stop and think about all the things you are grateful and thankful for in your life. See the good in what you have, count your blessings. What you have in life is so very much more than others in this world.
Can I encourage you to find what you really love, what brings you peace and rest and clear your schedule to just stop! Do it! Enjoy! And come back at life and all it’s busyness refreshed and strengthened at what lies ahead for you.
Truly my soul finds rest in God, my salvation comes from him. Psalm 62:1