Anyone with a Sourdough Starter will know that you end up with so much discard. Sure, you can throw it in the bin or compost. But, with panic buying, to find flour can be a struggle so you don’t want to just throw away. So, why not do something with it, and nothing is easier then sourdough pancakes.
You might have been storing your discard in the fridge, or you have some after a fresh feed of your starter. By just combining the following ingredients, you will have perfect fluffy pancakes before you know it.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup (or sugar/honey, your preference)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of Sourdough Starter
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 egg
- Butter (to grease pan)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking power, baking soda, sugar and salt
- Add your sourdough starter, milk and egg. Mix so everything is combined
- Butter your frypan, once hot pour in your pancake batter to your preferred size. Once it starts to bubble on top, flip the pancake to cook the other side.
- Once golden remove and serve.
- Enjoy with organic pure maple syrup, or yogurt and mixed berries, or local raw honey
With the above, we normally add some extra goodness. Don’t be afraid to add to your mix; chia seeds, wheatgerm, acai powder, greens powder or anything else you like to make these just that little much more healthier.
For photos sake, we kept to the original recipe this time 😉