If you haven’t worked it out yet. Our family loves FOOD! I love love to cook, bake, learn, experiment with and find the easiest ways to bring nourishing food to our family table.
During lockdown I’ve seen so many people make sourdough starters. And it’s brilliant! I feel encouraged to be doing more also for my family. However, with my starter I find it grows so quickly and even for my large family we can’t keep up…. enter Pinterest…. I found so many recipes for ‘Sourdough Crumpets’. And the thing is. All you need (besides the starter) are 3 pantry ingredients.
And you know how good fermented food is for your gut? They are rich in probiotic bacteria. So by consuming them you will be adding powerful bacteria and enzymes to your overall intestinal flora, increasing the health of your gut microbiome and digestive system and enhancing the immune system!
It’s a win win situation here folks!
Check out my super easy recipe.
Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 5 min Ready in: 15 min
- 270 g sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite runny honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1. Combine sourdough starter, honey and salt. Leave to rest until it starts to bubble up.
2. Heat your pan to a medium low heat, grease your egg/muffin rings and place them into the pan.
3. Now add the bi carb soda to your mixture. Combine. It will start to bubble right up. Fill your rings to half way. (The batter rises).
4. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Do not turn them. Crumpets are supposed to be toasted after this step. However, we like them fresh hot off the grill.
5. Top with whatever you fancy!