Ever wondered why your homemade Hummus didn’t taste like the stuff you eat when dining at a Middle Eastern Restaurant? I’m sure all my Middle Eastern friends who read this will laugh at me… it actually took me about 9 months to test, try and research to finally find the most AUTHENTIC recipe. Honestly!! I would ask anyone I could and they would give me some recipe using canned chickpeas… I mean, there won’t no cans of chickpeas in the old days. I wanted the most original and best recipe I could find.
So here goes.
- 1 1/2 cups Dried Chickpeas
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 cup Tahini
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2- 2 1/2 Lemons (taste as you go)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2-3 Tbsp Chilled Water
- 1/2 tsp Bi Carb Soda
- Soak and cover chickpeas overnight
- Boil chickpeas in water with 1/2 tsp bicarb soda until soft
- In a processor add all ingredients. Taste and add a little more of what you desire… could be garlic, cumin, lemon juice.
- Serve with a drizzle of Olive Oil, Paprika and flat bread.
Ps: the will give me 3 contains worth. I freeze 2 of them and thaw when needed. I’m our family we go through one a week. So I make a fresh batch every 3 weeks! X